Saturday, May 8, 2010

The boldness of the Morning




Since we have moved into the new house, Bandit has taken to getting up on the bed and sleeping by our feet. At least, that's what she does when she's not running around and playing with Hawk in the middle of the night.

But this morning, I woke up late (because it's Saturday and I can) and looked up to see what time it was. On the bed, near my feet was not one but two black and white cats. As soon as he saw me, Hawk perked his ears and jumped back down to his Hawk-cave under the bed. I think that he was surprised and didn't realize I was still in bed. But maybe he did know I was there. Maybe he's just following Bandit's lead and is getting comfortable enough to chill out at our feet.

It's exciting to see him out and about, and relaxed. I think he is becoming more and more comfortable with his surrounding and with us, and that's a good thing.

-jer-

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Eve and Jer. I ran across the article on Best Friends and this blog and having been following for a few weeks. Major kudos to you for taking a cat home that you knew may never come out from under the bed and be part of the family. So far I've had 3 like that and they've all become cuddle-monsters. One would sleep on my legs, but like Hawk as soon as I spoke or even looked at her, she was gone. One day I was reading in bed, and she came and pushed her head under my hand demanding that her head be rubbed. As if we hadn't had months and months of hissing fits and several boxes of band-aids used. She's just about ready to start looking for her forever home (and I'm half hoping not to find one for her, so she can stay.) I look forward to hearing more about Hawk and Bandit.

Kermit Mitchell said...

There is no doubt that Hawk knew you were there ~ he just knew it was safe because you were asleep and because he was following Bandit's lead (great role model!).

Even now, our GKR cats Kermit & Sylvester will sleep with us on the bed, but will not come up on the couch or any chair. They have their own rules it seems ;-)

Hawk is making great progress and it is heartening to read about it!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the comments! I watched Hawk sit in the hallway last night for about 10 minutes at the bottom of the stairs looking upstairs (where Jer was). He was really thinking about going up there- I think he was psyching himself up for the future trek upstairs.

Just Me said...

Hawk is SO much like my Oliver! I am loving following his adventures. I surprised Oliver many times when he would sneak onto the bed in the middle of the night to snuggle in the safety of the dark. Two years later, he now sleeps with me every night, comes when I call him (and even knows the phrases "want some breakfast" and "it's time for dinner, are you hungry>" and if he's not still on the bed when the alarm goes off, he jumps up immediately for his morning lovefest. Hawk is doing GREAT and I am so happy for you all. :)

Anonymous said...

@Genie it sounds like Hawk is taking the same road that Oliver did! Your little stories are encouraging to me as are Hawk's brave little ventures! I think if he ever does come out and be a present, "normal" housecat- he's gonna be trouble! I see twinkles of troublemaker in his eyes:) And good for him!